Transfer ProceduresThe following procedures are to be used for documents being transferred to the University Archives for permanent retention.
- Two copies of every publication produced, in whatever format,
by any school, department, office or center of UMBC should by
transferred to the University Archives in a print format at the
time of publication.
- All copies may be sent through the normal inter-office mail
system and require one transmittal form for each publication at
the start of regular submissions.
- A notice should be sent to the Archives when a publication is
to be discontinued so that we may close the file.
University Office Records:
For all other records identified for transfer to the University Archives:
- Contact the Special Collections Department at x52353 to acquire as
many records cartons you will need. (These cartons are acid free
and aid in the preservation of documents placed in the Archives.)
- Completely fill all records cartons to be sent. One series may follow another in the same box.
- Inventory the contents of each box completing one online Transmittal Form
for each box. This ensures that the Archives can easily retrieve
records for you should you need them in the future.)
- Print one copy of the completed inventory forms for your records
and send one copy via email to the University Archives.
- When describing the contents of each box please note each group of related
records, ie. documents generated by a specific activity and filed
and used as a unit, for example: syllabi, general
correspondence files, minutes etc.
- Number boxes 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3, etc. and mark each one with the
name of the department on the side of the box containing the logo.
- Please let us know the day materials are to be sent so that arrangements
may be made to receive them.